With summer-like weather finally here, it’s time for a few important reminders about sun protection. Here’s our 10 Important Tips for Sun Protection.
2. Cover-up all exposed body parts with hats, sunglasses, and clothing.
- Get rid of any opened sunscreen products from last season regardless of the expiration date– it’s highly likely that the protective ingredients have lost their potency from exposure to heat and the sun.
4. When you’re buying** **a new sunscreen, look for one that’s labeled broad-spectrum with a minimum of SPF 30. Broad-spectrum means protection from both UVA and UVB rays. In addition, look for an all natural sunblock product that has natural active ingredients of Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. Our Aloe Gator Natural Sunblock is perfect for great sun protection!
- Products with SPF values higher than 50 offer only minimal additional benefits so don’t be taken in by those high numbers.
- Check packages for expiration dates to make sure you’re not buying old products.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outside to allow the product to be absorbed-an important thing to remember for optimal sun protection.
- When you’re using a lotion-type sunscreen, use a shot-glass full all over your body and reapply every two hours. If you opt for a spray or wipe, make sure you apply enough to give your skin a sheen all over.
- Don’t ignore any parts of your skin.** **Skin cancers can appear anywhere on the body from your lips to the bottom of your feet. It’s worth investing in a lip balm with broad-spectrum SPF 30 protection.
- Make sure your kids are protected at school, camp and outdoor summer parties. In addition to doing your part by applying sunscreen on them in the morning, you should discuss the importance of reapplication with your kids and their teachers, counselors and other parents.
These tips and other great information can be found at goodhousekeeping.com.
Have a healthy and sunburn free summer!